Having started the journey into the three dimensional world a long time ago, SteelFab understands the accuracy and commitment it takes to manage and maintain a true working model. SteelFab is capable of sharing our structural steel detailing models with a variety of other BIM and three dimensional modeling software packages.
Building Information Modeling (BIM) has been a major component of SteelFab’s workflow since our first use in 1997. BIM was first employed simply to transfer basic information to CNC machinery. It has grown to benefit not only our machinery and production control software but is advancing into estimating, project management, and field activities.
- Automated transfer of CNC data for sawing, drilling, punching, and burning operations on beam, plate, and angle machines
- Direct data downloads for fabrication management software
- Complete, dimensioned models available for use in Quality Control
- Direct material data downloads for steel estimating software
- Enhanced visualization of complex details and framing conditions
- Ability to utilize and import preliminary design models for budgeting
- 3D Steel sequencing and erection visualization
- Detailing efficiency reduces delivery lead time
Coordination and Model Sharing Benefits
- Full 3D steel model available in numerous file formats including CAD, Revit, and Navisworks
- Enhanced clash detection due to fully detailed steel connections
- Models can be viewed via website without additional software
SteelFab utilizes both in-house detailers as well as outside detailing firms. All in-house detailing and most subcontracted detailing firms utilize Tekla Structures for modeling. SteelFab also maintains licenses of Autodesk Revit Structures to aid in model transfers both to and from outside sources.
John and Mary Brock Football Facility – Atlanta, GA won honorable mention in Tekla’s 2012 North American BIM Awards.
*General Contractor: Barton Malow
*Fabricator: SteelFab, Inc. of Alabama
*Detailer: SteelFab, Inc. of Alabama