Perform many kinds of welding and cutting using gas and electric welding equipment to fabricate steel with minimum supervision.
Essential Job Functions:
- Perform FCAW (2G) welding. Be able to pass 2G test in FCAW on 1″ thick coupon. Be able to pass 2G test in SMAW group 4 electrodes on 3/8″ coupon.
- Operate air arc to remove steel (back-gouging).
- Grind with 90-degree angle grinder.
- Read weld symbols and check weld size using weld fillet gauges.
- Heat material to required temperature using temperature sticks and heating torch/cutting torch. (Read and follow pre-heat and interpass temperature tables)
- Set machines according to procedure charts.
- Operate air chipper to chip off slag.
- Use natural gas tube heaters to pre-heat steel.
- Operate stud welder.
- Follow weld procedures as it applies to volts, amps, and wire feed speed.
- Heat, straighten and be able to know when to use pre-heat to offset weld distortion.
- Meet requirements of class “C” with greater efficiency.
- Perform other duties as required by management.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Required: High school education or equivalent. Must be able to lift a minimum of 50lbs over shoulder height. Be able to read blueprints. FCAW (2G) SMAW(2G). Be able to read weld symbols and be familiar with weld procedures. Must be familiar with WP1 (manual shielded metal arc welding of carbon steel) and WP2 (flux cored arc welding of carbon steel) and WP3 (flux cored arc welding with gas shielding of carbon steel.
Preferred: Two or more years of experience in manufacturing in the steel fabrication industry.
Proficiency and use of software, equipment, machines, tools, electronic devices necessary for job: Air arc, 90-degree angle grinder, crane, heating torch, cutting torch.