Individual works under the direction of and reports to their Detailing Supervisor. The function of this position is to learn structural steel detailing and progress into a Detailer position. The effectiveness of performance on this job is evaluated by the Detailing Manager.
Essential Job Functions
- Learn to read and comprehend design documents and the specifications of governing bodies (AISC, AWS, ASTM, etc…).
- Learn the various aspects of the structural steel detailing process and successfully complete the Detailer Training program.
- Undertake extensive training on the various computer software programs used by the Detailing Department.
- Develop the ability to work independently, cultivate confidence in your decision-making, and work with a sense of urgency.
- Develop a firm understanding of all aspects of the Detailing Standards Manual and other detailing department guidelines.
- Learn to recognize and communicate errors, discrepancies, and omissions of design information to the Detailing Supervisor.
- Learn to understand and implement project connection designs provided within the design documents or by the Engineering Department.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Ability to work a full-time position and be able provide their own transportation to work.
- Possess formal drafting training or have had prior drafting experience and understand dimensioning concepts, symbols, layouts, sectioning, etc…
- Desire to learn structural steel fabrication and erection processes and to continually seek to further their knowledge of the industry.
- Adequate knowledge of geometry mathematics.
- Experience using CAD software, an adequate understanding of typical business computer software programs, and would benefit from prior exposure to 3D modeling software.
- Abide by the SteelFab Employee Policy Manual.
The person performing this function shall have the following abilities:
- To be self-motivated and support the efforts of their supervisor.
- Deal honestly, courteously, diplomatically and effectively with co-workers.
- Strive for complete and error-free details
- Willingness to accept additional responsibilities when called upon.