Individual works under the direction of and reports to their Detailing Supervisor. The function of this position is to learn structural steel detailing and progress into a Detailer position. The effectiveness of performance on this job is evaluated by the Detailing Manager.
Essential Job Functions:
- Learn to read and comprehend design documents and the specifications of governing bodies (AISC, AWS, ASTM, etc…).
- Learn the various aspects of the structural steel detailing process and successfully complete the Detailer Training program.
- Undertake extensive training on the various computer software programs used by the Detailing Department.
- Develop the ability to work independently, cultivate confidence in your decision-making, and work with a sense of urgency.
- Develop a firm understanding of all aspects of the Detailing Standards Manual and other detailing department guidelines.
- Learn to recognize and communicate errors, discrepancies, and omissions of design information to the Detailing Supervisor.
- Learn to understand and implement project connection designs provided within the design documents or by the Engineering Department.
We are looking for Detailer Trainee candidates who can help build on the growth and success of SteelFab. This candidate must exhibit values and attributes consistent with other employees, including:
- The ability to work a full-time position and be able provide their own transportation to work.
- Formal drafting training or have had prior drafting experience and understand dimensioning concepts, symbols, layouts, sectioning, etc…
- A desire to learn structural steel fabrication and erection processes and to continually seek to further their knowledge of the industry.
- An adequate knowledge of geometry mathematics.
- Experience using CAD software, an adequate understanding of typical business computer software programs, and would benefit from prior exposure to 3D modeling software.
- The person performing this function shall have the following abilities:
- To be self-motivated and support the efforts of their supervisor.
- Deal honestly, courteously, diplomatically and effectively with co-workers.
- Strive for complete and error-free details
- Willingness to accept additional responsibilities when called upon.
Qualifications and Requirements
Required: Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or equivalent.